Windows BitLocker Encryption Deep Dive: How it Works and How to Fulfill Enterprise Management and Compliance Requirements

Webinar Registration

I've used BitLocker drive encryption ever since it was released in Windows 7. Microsoft did a great job with the core function of what BitLocker does which is encrypt drives. BitLocker is (usually) transparent to the end-user, fast and has proven to be secure over the years.

Unlike the older Encrypted File System technology of Windows, BitLocker encrypts the entire NTFS volume. There's no need for the user to understand the difference in encrypted and unencrypted folders which is necessary in EFS. Also EFS allow encrypted data to leak out unencrypted in many different ways such as with application temporary files, swap files, user error and so on.

BitLocker on the other hand, runs deep within the operating system and encrypts the entire volume. If it's on that volume, it's encrypted no matter what. And Windows event has support for removable drives with BitLocker To Go.

In this webinar I will show you how BitLocker works on Windows 7 and Windows 10. I'll explain how it protects encryption keys which takes us into the very important related topic of Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chips. BitLocker doesn't require TPM but for a truly transparent end-user experience as well as the best security you need to use BitLocker with TPM and show why and how.

But once you encrypt data you have to think about how to decrypt it if the normal encryption is lost somehow. There are multiple ways that can happen with BitLocker ranging from bad motherboards or TPMs to lost USB keys or passwords depending on which BitLocker startup key options you've chosen.

The good news is that data recovery is built into the fabric of BitLocker. You just need to understand how it works and how to properly manage it which I'll also show you.

But while BitLocker is great in a lot of ways, if you have more than a few endpoints to protect you do run into important gaps in terms of management, reporting and compliance. That's why I'm excited to announce that Symantec's Endpoint Encryption team has agreed to sponsor this webinar. Symantec has some exciting developments coming to their technology which map directly to the gaps around BitLocker and I think you will benefit from seeing what's in store during their brief presentation.

This will be a fun and technical real training for free ™ session so don't miss it. Please register now.

First Name:  
Last Name:  
Work Email:  
Phone:
Organization:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip/Postal Code:
Job Title:
Company Size?:

Your information will be shared with the sponsor.

By clicking "Submit", you're agreeing to our Privacy Policy and consenting to be contacted by us and the sponsor.

Additional Resources