not logging 529 errors Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/11/2009 12:02:45 PM
Randy,

I have created a GPO in which I am logging both successful and failure for 'Audit account logon events' and 'Audit logon events'.  I am distributing this GPO to all DC's and member servers.  I deliberately tried to logon to a DC with an incorrect password for the domain Administrator account, but for some reason I am not logging any 529's on the DC or any other DC.  What am I doing wrong?

Post #100
Posted 6/9/2009 9:57:12 AM
Expert

ExpertExpertExpertExpertExpertExpertExpertExpert

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 4/20/2009 7:57:33 AM
1. Have you verified that the GPO was applied successfully to the DC in question?  To find out: Run MMC.exe and load the Group Policy Snap-In to view that DC's local effective settings; check what audit policy is actually in force.  Or run a Group Policy Results report on that DC from the Group Policy Management snap-in.

2. Is your security log on that DC filled up?  What are the wrapping options for the security log?

Post #101
Posted 6/9/2009 12:16:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks for the information Randy.  Here is what I have discovered.  I ran Group Policy Results from within GPMC for the DC in question.  The Summary shows that the Auditing Policy is being applied, but maybe you can explain this for me.  When I look under the Settings, Local Policies/Audit Policies shows no auditing and the winning GPO being the Default Domain Controllers Policy.  I didn't want to modify this policy and created a new policy with the auditing features I wanted enable.  Why weren't they applied?

As for your other questions, my logging is set to 131072KB with overwrite as needed.

Post #103
Posted 6/10/2009 12:01:48 PM
Expert

Evidently your new GPO is being evaluated as lower priority than your Default DC Policy - a group policy issue.  If your new GPO is linked to root of domain you will have to confired it as No Override/Enforced.  If it is linked to the Domain Controllers OU then make it higher priority than the Default DC Policy.
Post #107
Posted 6/11/2009 7:10:19 AM
Forum Newbie

Thank for the update Randy, but I went ahead and add the successful/failures for Logon/Logoff and Account Login events to the Default Domain Controller Policy and applied the new GPO to member servers.  This seems to be working well and will address the issue at a later time.  In the meantime, not being an expert in Windows Logs like you, I am having some trouble deciphering the logs.  For some reason, I keep getting 675 on the DC's (see below), and do not understand them since these are computer accounts.  Can you explain this to me?

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Account Logon
Event ID: 675
Date:  6/11/2009
Time:  12:01:03 AM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: EXCHCLE
Description:
Pre-authentication failed:
  User Name: DPM2K7$
  User ID:  domain\DPM2K7$
  Service Name: krbtgt/FQDN
  Pre-Authentication Type: 0x0
  Failure Code: 0x19
  Client Address: IPAddress

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I seem to be getting a lot of these in the logs, and don't know what or where they are coming from.  I have searched Google but not a lot of information on this other than your article from Windows IT Pro.  HELP!!!

Post #109
Posted 6/11/2009 8:25:06 AM
Expert

Please repost this question under the forum for 675 and I will address it
Post #110
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 3:28am